Home|Our Difference|Our Services|Team LFA|Resources|Client Log-in|Contact Us|In the Community

Financial Briefs

More Articles  Printer Friendly Version


Tax Relief For Disaster-Area Losses

If you reside in one of the areas recently devastated by a hurricane, wildfire or another natural disaster, or own investment property in one of those places, you may be able to salvage some tax relief. Federal tax laws allow victims of disasters to claim casualty losses of personal property on their tax returns, although the write-offs are limited. What's more, if you suffer a loss in a designated disaster area and you're due a tax refund, you may be able to speed up its arrival.

Generally, you're eligible to claim a casualty loss caused by an event that is "sudden, unusual, or unexpected." This, of course, includes natural disasters such as hurricanes, fires, tornados, floods, earthquakes, and the like. But no deduction is allowed for normal "wear and tear" of property over time. Your casualty losses for the year, including any losses due to theft or vandalism, are grouped on your tax return.

However, after you've subtracted any insurance reimbursements, the deduction for the remaining damages is subject to these two rules.

  • You can deduct only the amount that exceeds 10% of your adjusted gross income (AGI), and that is after...
  • You reduce the loss for each event by $100.

Suppose you own an apartment building in Houston that was destroyed by Hurricane Harvey and your unreimbursed loss was $50,000. If your AGI for 2017 is $100,000, your deductible loss is limited to the amount by which it exceeds 10% of AGI—$10,000—leaving you with $40,000 minus $100, or $39,900.

Because the IRS often challenges deductions that appear to be inflated, it's important to obtain an independent appraisal of damage to your real estate or other property by a reputable third party.

Compared with those who have suffered regular casualty and theft losses, people in federally designated disaster areas can obtain faster relief. Normally, you claim a casualty loss on the tax return for the tax year in which it occurred. However, a disaster-area loss may be deducted on a return for the year preceding the tax year of the event.

So, in the example involving Hurricane Harvey, instead of waiting to file your 2017 tax return—due by April 15, 2018—to claim your loss, you could file an amended tax return for 2016, and your refund would be sent to you within a matter of weeks.

Similarly, if you suffer a disaster-area loss early in 2018, you don't have to wait until you file your 2018 return in 2019 to claim the loss. You can opt to take it on the 2017 return you'll file in 2018.

These tax rules are designed to provide people who have casualty losses with a measure of relief to help them get back on their feet. Review these rules with your professional advisers if your personal property is damaged or destroyed.

Email this article to a friend

The Interest Rate Inflection Point And Your Portfolio
Inflation: A Portfolio Risk That Never Dies
New Ways To Influence The Next Generation
Giving More To Loved Ones - Tax-Free
New Deduction Rules For Business Owners
A Bright Outlook For Consumer Spending
Six Tips To Avoid Phishing Scams
Good Riddance To The Alternative Minimum Tax

This article was written by a professional financial journalist for Larkspur Financial Advisors and is not intended as legal or investment advice.

©2018 Advisor Products Inc. All Rights Reserved.
© 2018 Larkspur Financial Advisors | 100 Tamal Plaza, Suite 110, Corte Madera, CA 94925 | All rights reserved
P: 415.924.6703 | F: 415.924.6723 Advisors@LarkspurFA.com |
Disclosure | Contact Us

Securities and advisory services offered through The Strategic Financial Alliance, Inc., (SFA), member FINRA/SIPC, which is otherwise unaffiliated with Larkspur Financial Advisors or LFA Holdings, Inc. Ronald Murphy, CLU, ChFC (CA Insurance License #0290052) is a Registered Principal and Investment Advisor Representative of SFA. J. Richard Arellano, CLU, ChFC (CA Insurance License #0186691), and Kevin Bartel (CA Insurance License #0J04584) are Registered Representatives and Investment Advisor Representatives of SFA.

We are licensed to sell Insurance Products in the following states: California, Florida, Georgia, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington.
We are licensed to sell Securities in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington.